Student Nurse, prn

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Status check ...pulse...

Yup, I have a pulse. Still adjusting to being back in the classroom and clinical site.

We are at a different clinical facility this semester. So, they have been giving us time to get adjusted to the new place. Slowly ramping up. It's kind of like waking up on the wrong side of the bed or having someone rearrange the furniture in your house. Same but different.

Clinically this semester they keep an eye on you like a hawk. One slip up and you get written up. Wash your hands, check your ID wrist bands, knock on the door, provide privacy, etc.. no room to slip up. And if you perform a skill that we have been 'checked off' for ..like inserting a foley catheter and you make an error, you get written up, regardless if you catch it.

I haven't had any exciting patients to speak of ...one needy lady in with back pain after a fall. L2 compression fracture. Hospitalized 26 times in the last 6 years. She readily admitted to me it's like family here and that she love's all the attention and people to talk to. Sad. My other patient had an 'accidental' ingestion of a toxic substance. (RV septic cleaner?) but she was already drunk on beer so RN said that probably saved her life because the ethanol alcohol and the toxic substance go for the same receptor sites in the cells and therefore her cells/organs were not so affected by the toxic substance.

I do go the the ER next week --so check back !!

In lecture theory, we go back over stuff we have already learned (and hopefully still retain) and dive deeper into each area. All with keeping in mind the final goal --graduation and passing the state board exam.

4 Comments:

  • I applaud anyone who goed into this field!! I dont think I could handle it! How long until you graduate?

    By Blogger Michelle, at 5:25 AM  

  • The ER? That's where I spent my last two vacations.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:08 AM  

  • Thanks Chelle, May 2006 I will graduate. Gotta love people cuz most folks are CRANKY when they are sick we don't generally see their good sides (pun intended)..hehe

    JJ- I hear they serve some awesome cocktails in the ER. A little Lasix mixed with some Lisinopril and the rim of the glass dipped in Nitroglycerin. *yum* Did you also get the free luxury resort robe with the rear ventilation?

    By Blogger SVN, prn, at 5:27 PM  

  • I did! But they didn't let me take it home so I've cut the back out of all my clothes to simulate the effect.

    Friends and neighbors are mortified, of course.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home