Student Nurse, prn

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Holiday Cheer...

Last year I worked in a facility over the holidays that is 1/2 long term care and 1/2 acute rehab. The rehab side where I work is for folks mostly sr. Citizens that need intensive physical rehab post surgery or stroke (cerebral vascular accident -CVA/brain attack) before they can go home or possibly their significant other/family is unable to care for them during this rehab stage. I ended up working Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day. *gasp* I know what you are thinking, poor Student Nurse. But don't, due to my arrangements for shared custody with my daughters I would have been alone during those days/times anyways.

So, it was something I enjoyed a lot to be able to care for these folks during the holidays. I really get a kick out of putting a smile on someone's face or making them laugh. I have a knack for an infectious smile, if I do say so myself.


If you are looking for a feel-good holiday gift I would like to suggest to get yourself some small trinkets (candies are not recommended because of some folks dietary restrictions or swallowing precautions) and deliver them room to room with a personal greeting. Lots of these folks do not leave their room except for therapy. I nice warm holiday greeting could make their day. It would be wise to get permission/rules from the administrator of the facility first because remember for some of the long term care patients, this is their permanent home.


This year I get to spend more time with my family over the holidays due to not working during the school year. But I will go back to work on the 28th for a day of work and then some sporadic days in January.. I am looking forward to it. I miss the smiles.

I wish you all the all the joy the holiday season has to offer, may the blessings of life warm your heart

3 Comments:

  • You are an angel. Merry Christmas.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:29 AM  

  • Congratulations on surviving the semester! Merry Christmas!!!

    By Blogger Nurse2B, at 9:39 AM  

  • To SVN, prn...I look forward to reading more about all of your journeys.

    By Blogger Lou, at 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home