Student Nurse, prn

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Whistle while I work....

I whistle when I am happy. Not just everyday happy but content happy. I was whistling at work today.

I enjoy the elderly. They amuse me (especially the confused ones!), they have great stories about their pasts (I wish I had more time to sit and listen) and they are appreciative.

I find in acute care the patients are so much more demanding and I don't mean in a 'you are not helping me because I am ill' way, I mean in a 'get me this' you are my servant way without any manners.

One of my ladies today said, "you are the best nurse I have had here". Then her licensed nurse told me that she is almost always grumpy and that I must have a "way with her" because she is pleasant today.

A smile and a whistle while you work attitude will always get better results or as they say in the south, "you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar".

Happy Wednesday y'all.

3 Comments:

  • Is "acute care" when your nurse is really, really pretty? Sorry, I have to do one bad pun a day...done!

    By Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 8:13 PM  

  • Yes, attitude is everything working with students, too.

    Are you from the South?

    I like how people are raised to be pleasant here. Southern hospitality is for real.

    By Blogger Jessica Harwood, at 1:56 PM  

  • I had very similar experiences at the long term care facility--where we did our entire clinical experience last quarter (our first in nursing school.)

    I had a couple of "old nurses" (their words) as patients and it was interesting to see that as confused as these folks were they could (and others about their professions) remember things quite clearly from their work years.

    Hh

    By Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"..., at 6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home