Student Nurse, prn

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Can it really be 2006?

Happy New Year!!

After catching up on a few blogs that I read regularly I am very melancholy today. Can a new year really be about to begin?


Wow. Time is so intriguing . What will the next year bring? Hopefully a graduation in May for me. Followed by a graduation from the 8th grade in June for my eldest daughter. (*gasp* I can't possibly be the mother of a child in high school! Wasn't I just there myself?) Then I will tackle the CA state board exam for nursing licenseure in the early summer and then the ultimate goal getting a job in nursing. Can all this happen? It seems so long ago (Spring of 2003) that I decided to pursue another career path. Then there is my personal life which I don't blog about here but as a single gal I always wonder what life has in store for me.

All this reminds me of this very cool project I did in my Human development class in the fall of 2003. My instructor has us do a time line of our life. What you say? *ppstt* You are not dead.

Well, that was the kicker, we were to list all the major things that had happened in our lives so far. Birth, siblings births, graduation from high school, marriages, divorces, family deaths, --the big events. Then we had to continue the time line and add things that hadn't happened yet. Predict the future persay.
Our graduation from college, parents deaths, children's marriages, grandchildren, remarriages, spouses deaths,, etc... you get the idea and yes, we had to decide when we were going to die. I decided I was going to die at the ripe age of 88.

When I had the project all lined up (it took three pieces of 8 1/2 x 11 paper laid end to end) I was glancing at my past and a fictional future. How very surreal.

The thing that struck me the most was how I felt I was struggling so much with the current chaos of my life. Going back to school, relocating to a new city, the recent divorce, etc. BUT when I looked at my life as a whole (all 33 inches of it on paper) and narrowed in on the
very very small seemingly insignificant span that would take place while I was in school and compared to the past and future. It made me realize that this crazy time was very short and that I could handle it.

I can handle it ....I am not super woman I am just doing what I need to so that I can support my family and enjoy giving to others.

2 Comments:

  • Its amazing, when you plot your life out like that, what kind of perspective it can give you. When you are stressed about tests or school and your whole world revolves around reading and homework, an exercise like that can really help you to see things for what they are, and hopefully help relieve some of that stress.

    Anyway, good luck this year. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate, but when you get that first job and that first sweet, sweet paycheck it will all be worth it, right? ;-)

    Have a great week.

    Dustin B.
    http://azx-raytechstudent.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Dustin, at 6:14 PM  

  • That is an amazing project. I wonder if your lecturer realised the enormous impact this project could possibly have you your life and future. I mean when you think about it how many people get the chance to make a blue-print of their future. Obviously it may not all happen but I hope you were able to see some goals ahead, perhaps ones that may be realised in the near future?

    Best of luck with graduating, I enjoyed your blog.

    By Blogger Unimum209, at 3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home