Student Nurse, prn

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The count down begins....

After today we have exactly two weeks to our final exam in Med/Surg. It will be about 100 questions, multiple choice with a few short answer and a few 'fill-in-the-blanks'. The following day we have a 45 minute long clinical exam to be performed in front of a clinical instructor. >>> PANIC!! <<< Pardon the moment of sheer terror as we were given the details of the clinical exam today. Usually I am ok with clinical tasks but this is a multi-multi-step process that we have never experienced before with the watchful eyes of the instructor. Pass or fail.

I guess I am on overdrive panic. I have started a daily study session with another classmate to go over the semesters worth of information. That should help. We toss out questions to each other, grill on facts, terminology, etc.

3 Comments:

  • Hey SVN,

    Good luck on your two tests. I think i would do much better on the written one. I get pretty nervous having to "perform" for someone. It was hell when i had to defend my masters thesis. Two hours of questions from 3 professors. But i survived and so will you. good luck and let us know how it turns out.

    Dustin B.

    By Blogger Dustin, at 9:22 AM  

  • Best of luck with your studying.

    I have just finished my final exams for the year - much to my delight.

    My clinical exam went horribly!!! After being told there would be no tricks and that the lecturers wanted us to pass I got in there and I was 1st out of our cohort of 100. My "patient" (plastic dummy) was suffering from Asthma and was supposed to be on an oxygen mask - She wasn't. I then had to check out the med chart - surprise! the order was illegal. Whats more it had been written up more frequently than recommended. I "contacted" the DR to check the order and continued to administer the drug as a IV push. I was shaking so much I could hardly reconstitute the drug - to top it off the saline was expired!

    After I had finished and done my documentation and reflection I was sure I had done terribly. I was stunned to recieve my mark of 29 out of a possible 30!!! So much for no tricks! But in the end it didn't matter.

    Just remember that you can do this!! Tell yourself this often... Practice safely and breathe deeply.

    Good Luck

    By Blogger Unimum209, at 9:46 PM  

  • Our final (like you described) is Monday. We had our last clinical evening on Tuesday working with our clients in the long term care facility. We did our presentations on HIV/AIDS and our big paper was due--both yesterday. Are we going crazy? YES!

    Hh

    By Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"..., at 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home