Student Nurse, prn

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Light at the end of the tunnel.....

I can see it, it's not bright but it's there.

This week marks the 8 week mile stone until our pinning ceremony/graduation. If you factor in one week of spring break in April that leaves only 7 weeks of class time. Wow.


Tomorrow we take a class picture in our complete uniform.

I have been on the surgical floor for the last two weeks and will be this week too. I have had a several folks with the knee replacements. A back surgery. An appendix burst (19 y/o new Mom only 23 days post partum). Gastric by-pass, etc. This week should be more fun. I have two care plans to complete before the end of the semester. I think I may tackle one this week. I tend to prefer surgical floor to medical. The medical floor is like the investigation team. Lots of sick/miserable folks and not sure what they have going on, so lots of tests, labs and nausea/vomiting/febrile folks until the mystery is solved. The surgical folks on the other hand are post surgery and just in need of recovery. First most patients are still tired/loopy and sleep a lot. Second day is always better and by the third they are itching to get back home.

I also put in a request to go to the ICU, originally I said no, because I have no interest in that area of care. But I have changed my mind for two reasons. One is as a part of the continuum of care I think it's best I see that part of a patients stay. Secondly, I have been surprised in the past about what I enjoy and I promised myself to keep an open mind.

Lastly, my intentions all along were to keep my blog school related. I think I have managed to keep that goal but I have the desire to continue to blog. I find it cathartic. So, to those sweet fateful readers who maybe interested don't fret, Student Nurse, prn will resurface in another light. I will find a way to lead you to the new place while still trying to protect my anonymity
.

6 Comments:

  • PLEASE keep blogging! You make school sound fun (exhausting, but fun)! I'd love to see the photo of you in your cap, maybe you could cover up your face with that of a famous celeb? (I secretly think I harbour a fetish for nurse's caps. I have no idea why.)

    By Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 8:41 PM  

  • So you'll be an RN in 7 weeks?

    Congrats! Go for L&D. RNs seem to be happiest there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:07 PM  

  • Congrats on being so close to graduation

    By Blogger josey, at 7:06 AM  

  • Yay!

    By Blogger dog food sugar, at 9:22 AM  

  • Congratulations... 8 weeks away! That is a big deal. And please keep blogging. I think the first few years as a nurse are at least as much of an evolution process as the years as a student.

    By Blogger Nurse2B, at 10:50 AM  

  • Definitely keep blogging...and as an LVN preparing to be an RN you won't even have to change the blog name for awhile!

    Hh

    P.S. I opted not to do the LPN summer quarter which would allow me to begin working as an LPN while continuing on in the program. Ours is a full-time program to get to the RN so I just didn't see the point with all the other things (work, teaching, non-profit, school and most of all family) so will go straight on for the RN.

    By Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"..., at 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home