Student Nurse, prn

Sunday, February 19, 2006

The ER, part deux.....

......I got to go back. I was thrilled. I won't leave a long list of the types of patients we saw but needless to say it was similar to the previous week.

Best part was on Friday I got to work with an RN that is a natural teacher. She was EXCELLENT. She knew exactly just where to lead, mentor and teach. I felt at ease around her. Her confidence gave me confidence. She asked me questions without seeming overbearing or condescending. I wish I could return.


One of the LVN's said something interesting to me...he said the ER is different. Normally on a Med/Surg floor we know the treatment plan, patients diagnosis, medications, history, etc. He said the difference with the ER is they work backwards, they have to find out the diagnosis, the medications and history of a patient then they can treat them. He said you must adopt this backwards thinking before you can be effective in the ER.

Procedurally, I did a female Foley catheter, administered a suppository medication (I see you holding your hiney cheeks together!) ....and visited the special procedures room to watch a bronchoscopy (a procedure that a camera on the end of a tube is inserted into the nose or mouth and into the lungs which provides a view of the airways and lungs and to collect secretions/tissue specimens for a biopsy)
and a EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy- an examination of the esophagus, stomach, and upper duodenum with a small camera inserted down the throat).

Next week I am on the surgical floor for several weeks on end....off to hip and knee replacement land.

Oh and lastly, we all got our hats we bought for the pinning ceremony. I sure hope I don' t look like the flying nun in this thing.




3 Comments:

  • How do you put in the female Foley? I've had 'em and it's just...weird....

    By Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 8:21 AM  

  • Wow, cool stuff. I cant wait to get into clinicals. The class room stuff is already starting to bore me. I know its info we need, but I want to get to hands on part. How much time do you spend in clinicals versus class? Do you still get pretty nervous during your clinicals?

    PLEASE YOU MUST POST A PIC OF YOU IN YOUR CUTE LITTLE NURSES HAT!! Priceless!!

    Dustin
    Desert Imaging - An X-ray Tech Student in Phoenix

    By Blogger Dustin, at 7:57 PM  

  • I wanna see a pic of you in the hat, too!!! :) Be sure to post it!! :)

    By Blogger Michelle, at 10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home