Student Nurse, prn

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Reprieve...

Our quiz for today was cancelled because the instructor was ill. We still had class with our theory class with our clinical instructor substituting but it was more low-key and material that we were going to address later in the semester. Sweeeeet. This lightens the load over the coming week/weekend due to most of the work already being done for next Tuesday.

We are also off tomorrow (Wed) so I have lots of personal errands planned. I have been getting ahead with little projects we have assigned this semester. One was the A.A. meeting I attended a week or so ago. The other was we had to write a letter to some type of legislative member on an issue we feel strongly about in regards to Nursing. I wrote to the California State Board of Licensed Nursing and asked that the IV curriculum be added to our program so we don't have to take an extra class after graduation and pay more $.


Few loose ends. Hat requests ...thanks y'all for asking. I may post a picture of the hat but probably not on me. I have tried to remain anonymous to protect myself, the facilities I train at, my patients and my school due to the privacy laws in my state of California. I may put the picture up for one day for my fateful readers (you know who you are) and then remove it. Still mulling that over.

And for Mona and her request for instructions on a Foley catheter insertion. That made me laugh not only because it would be hard to explain BUT weird too. Let's just put it this way everyone's anatomy is wildly different. I did make light of it in class saying how our one male student must have an easier time inserting a female catheter because he has had a birds eye view of the female anatomy before, whereas most of us women have most likely not experienced that. He did blush a bit but with a sly smirk also :o)

Voting has began for Nursing blog for the month of February at Mediblogopathy just in case you feel the need to VOTE for a great student nursing blog you know, HINT, HINT.

I also did some cleaning of cobwebs on the blog (very minor). I am not a whiz with HTML so that's as good as it gets.


4 Comments:

  • Thanks for the shout-out...it's just that when you have one in, you feel...I dunno...WEIRD...like you're cooter is hooked up to a sink or somethin'....

    By Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 9:40 AM  

  • Well, a gentle as possible lets put it this way.

    The urethra that the catheter goes into is a 'fluid out valve' so anytime a foreign subtance (rubber tube) is forced in there it is uncomfortable. The end of the catheter has a small water inflated ballon to hold it in place in the bladder. (see link)

    So, ya, you're right, your bladder is the sink bowel and the catheter tube is the drain ...dumping the urine into the bag attachement.

    http://www.techfabinternational.com/main/products/images/cath_D.gif

    By Blogger SVN, prn, at 10:51 AM  

  • my wife (a nurse) always complains about how it is so much harder to catheterize a woman than a man. She brags that she could catheterize a guy via a well placed lob of the tube from across the room, but it takes two people 15 minutes to insert into a female patient. ;-)

    By Blogger Dustin, at 2:59 PM  

  • PS I see you linked to my blog. Thanks so much!! You get my vote for best nurse blog!

    D

    By Blogger Dustin, at 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home