Student Nurse, prn

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Floating on cloud nine....

Yesterday I received my results from the state board exam and I am elated to report that I...

PASSED!!!!!!

Each day waiting for the results (4 weeks) seemed like torture but finally the envelope arrived. Then I was afraid to open it. My daughters were home so it was exciting to have them there. It seems so surreal to finally be able to call myself a Nurse.

Ironically, it was 3 years ago this month I started my pre-requisite classes not even sure what nursing was all about but that I wanted to have a great career and a steady income.

What is next to come?

Well, I am still working at the facility (acute rehab) where I was a CNA. I moved to the nursing desk after I graduated and I am doing ward clerk type duties (processing Dr. orders, faxing the pharmacy, ordering xrays and labs in addition to other paperwork). I will continue in this capacity (slightly expanded but still no patient care) until my license (and #) arrives in the mail in another 30 days or so. Then I will begin my training on the floor. I chose to stay at this facility because they are offering a tuition reimbursement program for current employee's who move up and it will be a good to have at least a year of acute nursing experience in a med/surg environment.

So, as my instructor used to say it's time her 'nurse-lets' fly from the nest.

I do plan on going for my RN but at a slower pace I have about 6 pre-requisite classes left. I plan on taking them (mostly sciences) one night class per semester and then enroll in the upward mobility program that is 1 year full time. So, by maybe 2010 I will be an RN.

A big thank you to everyone who has read the blog. I hope maybe some information was helpful to other student nurses. My original intention was just more of a journal but the feedback has been so encouraging especially on the rough days. The medical community is certainly a great one as well as all my other faithful readers.

I have no plans to continue the blog at this time. I don't have an interest in writing about my work but I also don't like to say never. I did start another blog but I find I am not writing much there either maybe I will take a small hiatus and then reconsider. Best of luck and happiness to everyone.

with love,

Nurse Carolyn

17 Comments:

  • CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Best of luck to you.

    W. :)

    By Blogger Wendy, R.N., at 5:44 AM  

  • CONGRATS! Wow, I hope to be in your shoes someday! ;)

    By Blogger Prisca:, at 11:07 AM  

  • Thanks for the comment--

    Wow, I am still reading your blog (addicted) and I hope you don't quit updating it! ;)

    Take care!

    By Blogger Prisca:, at 11:30 AM  

  • Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! If you decide to blog again, let me know where you at!

    By Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 11:35 AM  

  • Hi Nurse Carolyn,

    A big congrats on passing your boards. What a weight off your shoulders. You have worked hard and its finally time for it to pay off.

    I'm sorry to hear that you wont be writing in this blog anymore, but it was a wild ride while it lasted! ;-) I hope you continue to come to my blog and leave comments. I always enjoy yours a lot.

    Well good luck in the new job and your plans to pursue an RN degree.

    Take care,

    Dustin
    Desert Imaging
    http://azx-raytechstudent.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Dustin, at 12:17 PM  

  • thanks for the encouraging words on my blog! ;) great advice i will def. use...

    By Blogger Prisca:, at 8:14 AM  

  • Congrats Nurse Carolyn! Sorry to hear you are leaving the blog world. Bet you will have some withdrawal symptoms! Good luck in your career!

    Mike (that horny old guy out in Stockton!)

    By Blogger Mike Stewart, at 8:37 PM  

  • Congrats,
    You deserve a lot of credit for all of your hard work.
    David Godden

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:58 PM  

  • Congratulations!!!

    By Blogger Nurse2B, at 2:09 AM  

  • congrats!
    enjoy your blog!

    here's a link to my weekly newsletter for nurses:
    http://www.nursingcareertransformation.com/
    simplenewslettersignup.html

    enjoy and happy thanksgiving!

    kate loving shenk

    By Blogger kate loving shenk, at 1:28 AM  

  • Congrats I am at exactly where you were three years ago. Good job. I hope I do the same.

    By Blogger Reg, at 5:31 PM  

  • Nursing career in Massachusett is still open and welcomes all nurses from many countries around the world. Read more information about Nursing Jobs Massachusett

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:33 PM  

  • very nice blog site.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:49 PM  

  • Congrats! Sorry to see the blog ending... maybe you'll find a new title :)

    By Blogger Zac, at 8:26 PM  

  • Congratulations!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:38 PM  

  • Thank you for letting me in here. Please let me know what should I put in for your anchor text in my site. We are on the process now of building a huge nursing directory list and I wanted your site to be included.

    Shameless plug: We will be posting the November 2009 nursing board exam result in our website. Please let your Filipino visitors know about it. CIAO!

    By Anonymous Cherie, at 7:23 PM  

  • love to read your blog posts. its very hard to find some content for nursing training on internet. however cna become a very expensive job but i don't understand why people don't written on this subject. em a nurse and i understad it

    By Blogger Pixax, at 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home