Student Nurse, prn

Saturday, March 25, 2006

The HAG yelled at me!!!!......

OK, I'll calm down now. Some people have no social skills at all.

Here's the scoop...I am passing by the nursing station and the unit secretary says to me, "Patient in Room 100 needs something right now" (it's not a stat I'm dying, just a get here ASAP).

I make a quick bee line for the room. When I get in there the patient has pulled out her IV (I think her chair got caught on it) and her forearm is bleeding and the IV is spurting out saline fluid. The patient has her hand over the blood source.

I put some gloves on pronto, grabbed an unopened roll of curlex (rolled gauze) that happened to be sitting on her bedside table and placed the whole roll on her arm and then had her bend it at the elbow. Whew, priority #1 --stopped the bleeding. Then, I took the IV and placed it on the incontinence pad on the bed (I'm not allowed to touch the IV pumps yet) I did this so it wouldn't get the floor all wet. I told the patient I'd be right back and went to get the assigned RN.

She was on her break, so I get her break-nurse and we went back into the room and took care of the issues. (Stopped the IV, properly put a small dressing over the site of bleeding) then I went back to my previously scheduled whatever I was doing.

About a 1/2 hour later the assigned RN sees me at near the crowded nurses station and yells loudly at ME, "no one ever told me about my patient's bleeding!!!!!!"

Then at least 5 people in the vicinity say,
"shhhhhhh", very sternly at her.

Of course, I look like a deer caught in the headlights and stammer something like,
"the break-nurse (who's name I couldn't now recall) knew all about it".

The assigned RN says something unintelligible and the break nurse looks dumbfounded, shrugs and we all walk away.


I was pissed off. People now think I am an idiot for something that I did correctly. It was the responsibility of the break-nurse to report anything she did while the assigned nurse was gone.

I stewed about it. Notified my instructor. Then my instructor talked with the HAG today and she said, (and I quote) "Oh, I wasn't mad at your student I was angry at the break-nurse, I knew it wasn't your students problem"

WTF?

4 Comments:

  • Sounds like a crappy situation. At least the "Hag" later admitted she wasnt mad at you. i think you did exactly what was necessary and within your scope. it wasnt your responsibility to notify the returning nurse, the break nurse should have done it. You were completely in the right.

    By Blogger Dustin, at 12:05 PM  

  • I think you should just take a wiz in a lil tupperware container and stickit in her lunchbox.
    But hey, that's just me.

    By Blogger Leslie Brown, at 12:37 PM  

  • Sometimes, as a student, RNs can be SO easy to hate. Fortunately, I have had so many great RNs buddied up with me. I figure, if you don't like students, then don't work in an area of the hospital that constantly has students.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:33 AM  

  • Ugh. I hate hate HATE situations like this. Sounds like you did the right thing all through this though and then HAG looked bad by yelling like that. The high road always feels bad when you're on it but looks so much better in the long run.

    Hopefully next time you'll get the most awesome of RN's to balence this one out.

    By Blogger dog food sugar, at 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home