Student Nurse, prn

Friday, October 14, 2005

Nurse, scalpel please

Two days in the OR ...Thought I'd walk away enamored but it didn't happen. Silently, I always thought the OR might be the place for me but I never was sure because I hadn't had the exposure.

I have always known I am people person. I always knew how much I loved my patients when I was CNA. ...but my best guess would have been the OR was for me, simple, interesting, skilled...


I was WRONG...

Nurses in the OR are boring...yup...boring...The doc's rule the roost (well they always do) but floor nurses have a take charge attitude.

For the last two days I observed the following:
1)
Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy with a liver biopsy (gallbladder removal)
2) Take down colostomy (reversal of a section of the bowel being brought to the surface)
3) Thorocotomy and lobectomy (chest incision with removal of a portion of a lung)
4) Breast biopsy
5) Hysterectomy with
salpingo-oophorectomy (uterus removal with excision of an ovary and a fallopian tube).

What did I learn? Surgeons can be very nice and cool or very obnoxiously surly and rude...OR Tech's have interesting but repetitive jobs, Anesthesiologists have scary jobs and I don't think I want to be a OR nurse
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home