Student Nurse, prn

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Two tales of life

I have two patients today in clinical that are on opposite side of life's scale. I am on the surgical floor this week.

Patient #1
is a very young man (17) who has suffered major injuries to his eye. I don't want to say how to protect his privacy but let's just say he wasn't doing anything bad or in a auto wreck. He was just attention to fix something and a very stretchable cord hit him in the eye. Shattering bones below his eye. R-orbital-fx; right eye fracture. His eye is so swollen he can not open it and his other eye has suffered "sympathy" trauma for lack of a better diagnosis. It wasn't injured but he is not willing/able to open it. He is great pain and has tons of family support. Withdrawn and not willing to communicate other then the necessary yes/no responses. He is awaiting word on if surgery can be done and the status of his cornea.

Patient #2
is an older man (71) who had a fall at home and has a R-hip-fx; right hip fracture. He is one day post-op on a replacement (hemiarthroplasty). His history is Cerebral Vascular Accident x2 (CVA-Stroke), Diabetes mellitis (DM), Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), pneumonia, diverticulitis, hypertension (HTN), acid reflux disease (GERD), depression, benign prostatic hypertrophy. I have sympathy for both one young man is just starting life and is devastated by the unfortunate events in his life. The elderly gentleman has lived a long wonderful life and is certainly not ready to give it up but is not strong enough to enhance his rehabilitation.

Something to think about.

3 Comments:

  • I found you via Nurse2B. Good to read your blog; I'm a nursing student (48, OK?) going back to school so that I can change careers. We have several in our class doing the same, but it's great to read students like me who blog. Mind if I link?

    By Blogger The new Third Degree Nurse, at 1:05 PM  

  • Hi, Thanks for the great comments for my blog. Its my first so its a learning process.

    You're right, I certainly wanted to do my research this time, and I am almost certain I found what I was looking for, but I guess we will see once school and work starts! :-) I hope you check back with me once in a while and offer some support if i need it, i'll do the same. Have a great weekend.

    Dustin B
    http://azx-raytechstudent.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Dustin, at 2:27 PM  

  • 3rd Degree: Yes, you may and thanks for asking :o)

    (and that goes out to anyone who's interested in linking)

    Dustin: anytime and NICE addition of your picture on your blog *grins*

    By Blogger SVN, prn, at 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home